Statement of Purpose
The major functions of the University are to:
- Offer undergraduate and graduate instruction in accordance with approved liberal arts curricula.
- Encourage students to participate in a wide variety of student activities including student government, publications, clubs, and professional organizations, intramurals, and social fraternities and sororities. It is the University's intent not only to provide a sound academic foundation, but also to provide the cultural, social, and ethical background for success in daily life.
- Encourage curricula-related work experiences for enrolled students.
- Provide career development assistance for students and alumni.
- Provide students and the community with athletic, recreational, and cultural enrichment programs and lifelong learning experiences.
- Provide a program of services and recognition for alumni that fosters a spirit of fellowship and encourages continued involvement in the life of the University.
- Recruit and retain a faculty, staff, and student body committed to supporting the academic mission and social culture of the University.
- Provide the faculty, staff, and student body with a safe and supportive environment.
- Offer training and educational programs to help employees remain current in their intellectual and skill areas.
- Acquire and maintain facilities, equipment, and financial resources necessary to support the educational mission of the University.
- Acquire and effectively manage institutional resources to maintain and improve course offerings, facilities, equipment, and support services.
- Serve as a community resource for information and expertise in the academic disciplines presented in the curriculum.
- Encourage faculty, staff, and student involvement in community projects which enhance the quality of life for area residents.