Credit by Examination
Credit may be earned by degree-seeking students by means of a special examination subject to the following requirements.
- A student must apply online using the credit-by-examination request form found at my.limestone.edu/offices/registrar/services/credit-by-examination-form. The student must submit one request for each desired examination. The student must receive an approval email prior to scheduling the exam. Exams must be completed 30 days from the date of approval.
- A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of all degree requirements may be earned through credit by examination.
- Academic divisions have the option of using a CLEP examination or an examination prepared in the division.
- Credit cannot be earned by examination for any course in which a grade has been received nor for any course which has been audited including a grade of "W", "WP", or "WF".
- To earn credit by examination, a student must obtain a score equivalent to a letter grade of “C” or better as determined by each academic department or obtain a passing score for a CLEP subject or general examination course as recommended by American Council on Education (ACE). All prerequisites for the exam subject must be met prior to taking the examination.
- If the student attains an acceptable grade, he/she is awarded credit for the course, but not a grade. The credit hours are not counted in computing the student’s grade point average. Unsuccessful attempts to earn credit by examination do not become a part of the student’s permanent record.
- A fee of $30.00 per semester hour is charged for each test. This fee is charged before the student takes the test and is non-refundable.
- Courses for which a student earns credit by examination are considered transfer credits. Credit by examination is not included in the 12 credit hours enrolled in a semester to be classified as a fulltime student and it is not included in the total earned credits for graduation honors.
- Seniors who are graduating in May must request credit by examination no later than April 1st. The examination must be completed for May graduates no later than April 15th.
- Seniors who are graduating in December must request the credit by examination no later than October 15 and complete the exam no later than November 1st.